Worship Ministry Unit
- Supervise the corporate worship life of the congregation, including the church choral and instrumental programs, the times, places and order of worship for regular services.
- Meet with professional staff to plan the worship schedule and to recommend specific plans to Session. Such plans should include the types and themes of services, special services for Advent/Christmas, Lent/Holy Week/Easter, outdoor services, etc.
- Recommend to Session the frequency and dates of observance of the Sacraments, Baptism and the Lord's Supper.
- Assist in the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper by obtaining the proper number of Elders to serve, and conduct the instruction for the servers assisted by the professional staff.
- Recommend to Session the hiring, salaries, expenses for the upkeep of instruments, purchase/rental of music, current and incidental expenses, in consultation with professional staff.
- Recommend to Session the hiring salaries, and termination of employment of professional music staff.
- Recommend a worship and music budget, including salaries, expenses for the upkeep of instruments, purchase/rental of music, current and incidental expenses, in consultation with professional music staff.
- Respond to the need for adequate Bibles and Hymnals for the congregation, including upkeep and replacement. Reorder when necessary.
- Maintain pianos and organs in good operating condition. Recommend repair or tuning when necessary.
- Provide leadership for other types of music expression, including children and youth choirs, bell choirs, special music during summer months, etc., in cooperation with the Director of Music Ministry.
- Oversee the furnishings and decorations in the sanctuary chancel, nave, and balcony as guided by the Book of Order.
- With the professional staff, music staff, and appropriate committees of Deacons or the Presbyterian Women, provide oversight for appropriate seasonal changes in furnishings and decorations for such occasions as Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Pentecost, Trinity Season, World Communion Sunday, Harvest Home, Thanksgiving. This would include but not be limited to such responsibilities as providing for an Advent wreath or other suitable decorations; furnishing a Harvest Home/Thanksgiving display in the chancel; receiving and placing poinsettias, lilies, or banners in the chancel, nave, or balcony; and changing the liturgical hangings on the chancel furnishings as the seasons or special events such as weddings and funerals require.
- Recommend to Session any policy changes with regard to such matters as use of organs/pianos, use of the pulpit, content of News/bulletins, or any other documents pertaining to the worship life of the church.
STAFF FOR THE MINISTRY: Pastor, Director of Music Ministry
Current chair of Worship: Anne Layng
State College Presbyterian Church
132 West Beaver Avenue
State College, PA 16801
Program Year Sunday Worship ~
In the Sanctuary at 9:00 am, followed by our
- face masks are optional
Live-Streamed Worship ~ An email is sent out on Saturdays (to those on our mailing list) with a link to our live-stream of the worship service on YouTube at 9:00 am on Sundays. If you would like to join our mailing list, please click here
Summer Sunday Worship ~
- face masks are optional
Stay and Play Preschool
Church Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm